Buddhist pedagogical history

Joseph Walser joseph.walser at TUFTS.EDU
Fri Feb 27 14:05:01 UTC 2004

Your friend may want to look at vinaya texts dealing with the education of
novices. Also: Singh, Sanghasen and Kenryo Minowa, ed. and trans. "A Critical
Edition and Translation of Abhidamacarika Nama Bhiksu-Prakirnakah" _Buddhist
Studies_, Department of Buddhist Studies, University of Delhi, vol. 12 (March
1988): pp. 81-143. Sylvain Levi also touches on the subject in his
article, "Sur la recitation primitive des textes bouddhiques." Journal
Asiatique, ser. II, vol. 5 (1915): pp. 401-447. I hope this helps some.

Joseph Walser