graaha/nakra/makara

jkirk jkirk at SPRO.NET
Sun Feb 15 03:18:07 UTC 2004

Dear McComas,

Your quotation sounds a lot like David G. Mandelbaum--but I'm not sure. The
term used in anthropology was usually biradari.
Mandelbaum, David (especially his 2 vol summaries of a lot of village
studies literature--_Society in India , 2 vols: Continuity and Change;
Change and Continuity_.
S. Asia Books brought out an edition in 1991--but it came out much earlier
than that.

Joanna Kirkpatrick