graaha/nakra/makara

John Huntington huntington.2 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 13 23:56:38 UTC 2004

There is a good picture if a gharail at:
http://www.neherp.com/img/jw/gharial.jpg
The snout is far too long and slender to even suggest a makara to me.
further the makara snout is always curled, which a gharail simply
cannot do since it is an elongation of the skull see at:
www.labalena.it/anatomia/ gaviale.htm  or  digimorph.org/specimens/
Gavialis_gangeticus/  One may also note that the makaras have a very
thick snout base much like the elephant's trunk and no extended lower
jaw such as the gharail has.

John