Hanumannataka

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Mon Feb 9 23:11:28 UTC 2004

A patron is interested in the Hanumannataka.  Is anyone aware of a
recent translation into English, perhaps in a journal?

The results of my investigations so far for the patron may be of some
interest in themselves to someone on the list:

According to Montgomery Schuyler, A Bibliography of the Sanskrit Drama
(New York: Columbia University Press, 1906; reprint New York, AMS Press,
1965) and Radhavallabh Tripathi and Nilakanth Dash, A New Bibliography
of Sanskrit Drama (Delhi: Pratibha Prakashan, 1998), there were two
English translations of the Hanumannataka in the nineteenth century:

A Dramatic History of King Rama, trans. and ed. by K. K. Bahadur,
Calcutta, 1840. 2 parts.

trans. Raja Kali Krishna. Calcutta, no date.

The above two bibliographies do not tell what libraries the items are
found in.

Upon researching the matter further I have concluded that these are two
reports of the same translation, a copy of which is in the British
Library and a microfilm of which is in Harvard University Library:

The Maha-Nataka: a dramatic history of King Rama
trans. Raja Kali Krishna Bahadur
Calcutta: Printed by N. Robertson and Co., 1840, 2 pts.
BL shelfmark:  14079.c.10.

Microfilm. Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard College Library Imaging Services,
1998. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.
Harvard College Library preservation microfilm program ; 01476.
OCLC number: 39896066

Allen

Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
Senior Reference Librarian
Southern Asia Section
Asian Division
Library of Congress
Jefferson Building 150
101 Independence Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20540-4810
tel. 202-707-3732
fax 202-707-1724
athr at loc.gov
The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
of Congress.