Red ochre

Dean Anderson dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG
Wed Dec 29 17:40:39 UTC 2004

Dear Geoffrey,

Thank you for this fascinating observation. I have read a large
percentage of the writings about the IVC by mainstream scholars and this
is the first time I have heard this mentioned. It illustrates the
importance mentioned in another thread of not letting our preconceptions
color our interpretations.

Red ochre is found very widely across a vast region of the old world
during that time period. It covers so many cultures that I don't think
it could be attributed to any one of what we would consider separate
ethnic/ideological groups like Harappans (IVC), Mesopotamian, Aryans
(however you define that), Indo-Europeans, etc.

It is common among burials of that time. Of course, we find it in modern
India when it is applied to sacred idols. These may not be connected at
all and may simply be due to something as mundane as its bright color.

Has anyone seen any discussion of red ochre in this wider context or
what it might have symbolized? I have puzzled about it for years.

The interpretation that immediately springs to mind is red = blood =
vitality, life force, spirit. But this harks back to the early writings
of the times of Frazer and so much of those early theories have been
shown to be mistaken.

Dean Anderson