Red ochre on IVC figurines

Geoffrey Samuel Geoffrey.Samuel at NEWCASTLE.EDU.AU
Mon Dec 27 16:39:29 UTC 2004

A brief note on the "practice among women of wearing red ochre in the
part of their hair". This has become one of the more frequently cited
continuities between IVC and later Indic cultures and is (as far as I
know) based on the red ochre visible in the hair-parting of Indus
Valley figurines of women.

I was able to look at a number of these figurines a couple of years
ago, at Theresa McCullough's gallery in London, and it seems that (1)
the red ochre is found on both male and female figurines, and (2)
there are traces of red ochre all over the body of the figurines, not
just in the hair parting.

This suggests, rather to my disappointment I must admit, that the red
ochre on the figurines may be nothing to do with the modern practice
of married women placing sindhur in their hair parting. Any comments?

Geoffrey

>Date:    Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:50:05 -0600
>From:    Dean Anderson <dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG>
>Subject: Re: IVC on Indology list

[etc]

--

Geoffrey Samuel and Santi Rozario, School of Religious and
Theological Studies, Cardiff University, Humanities Building, Colum
e-mail: Geoffrey.Samuel at newcastle.edu.au, Santi.Rozario at newcastle.edu.au
Web site at http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbbgbs