Science Mag: "no Indus script"

Dean Anderson dean_anderson at SACARI.ORG
Fri Dec 24 21:26:52 UTC 2004

The ones you mention: Ziva, ritual bathing, status of certain animals,
etc. are indeed some of the items that could be accused of 'circularity'
and they are likely only in the light of some of the more firm
identifications like weights, dress, tools, pipal/banyan worship, etc.
that can be considered as native to South India as opposed to either
part of the larger Mesopotamian-South-Central Asian axis or simply
universal. This is the problem with the attempts to postulate a Harappan
origin of the Brahmi script: the letters that are similar between them
are almost all more-or-less common symbols in many scripts. In the same
way, Mother Goddesses and 'hero' motifs are common throughout the entire
region.

That there is continuity is undoubted; what it means in terms of culture
and ideology is not so clear.

Dean Anderson