Science Mag: "no Indus script"

Artur Karp karp at UW.EDU.PL
Thu Dec 23 11:48:26 UTC 2004

From: "Ferenc Ruzsa" <ferenc.ruzsa at axelero.hu>
To: "Artur Karp" <karp at uw.edu.pl>
Subject: Re: Science Mag: "no Indus script"

Dear Artur,

[...]

Another request:
for some mysterious reason I cannot post to the Indology mailing list.
Could you forward this message for me?

Yours,
Ferenc

--- Msg. to Indology --------

Friends,

reflecting on the no-script thesis some questions occurred to me.

1.) Is it only the paraphernalia of writing (tablets, ink-pots, paper
manufacturing equipment or whatever) that we do not find in the Indus
Culture? I think that there is a curious lack of religious objects, temples,
cemeteries. Does that suggest that they were irreligious and immortal?

2.) What is the situation in those ages where we know for sure that  writing
was a well estabilished practice? I mean -- from at least the rule of Ashoka
we have evidence of the widesprad use of script(s) in India. Do we find in
the corresponding archeological layers remnants of those writing tools etc.?

Marry Xmas to everyone,

Ferenc