NGMPP CD

diwakar acharya acharyadiwakar at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 30 14:46:58 UTC 2003

Dear list members,

I would like announce the following publication on behalf of Prof. Dr. A.
Wezler, the Director-General of NGMCP.

*******************************

Preliminary List of Manuscripts, Blockprints and Historical Documents
Microfilmed by the NGMPP (Part 1: Indic materials, Part 2: Tibetan
Materials)

The Preliminary Title List of all manuscripts and blockprints filmed by the
NGMPP has now been published, in two parts, in digitized form in order to
provide scholars throughout the world with immediate access to information
about the manuscripts microfilmed. The first part covers materials in
Sanskrit, Nepali, Newari, and other Indian languages excluding historical
documents when the second part covers a little less than one-third of the
Tibetan materials.
The “list” was compiled on the basis of the so-called “index cards” made for
each and every manuscript microfilmed by the NGMPP, not on the basis of the
microfilms themselves. This implies that it includes only the information
found on these cards, such as Title, Author, No. of Folios, State, Size,
Script, Language, Material, Date (if dated), Reel No. etc. But the
electronic form in which the “list” is being published offers various
possibilities of searching for titles or names, thus enabling the user to
find the right entry/entries without difficulty.
The experts of different branches of Indology in Kathmandu as well as in
Hamburg are preparing a descriptive catalogue of the texts in the
microfilms, and by now, a catalogue of nearly 1700 texts has been prepared.
Once a considerable number of manuscripts are thus catalogued, it will be
published in the worldwide web together with the preliminary Title list.
The CD now available contains a documentation of the programme itself, an
explanation of the many abbreviations used and all necessary help, and also
a runtime version of Microsoft Access. The programme can be run in computers
with Windows 98/NT or higher and Microsoft Access 2000 or higher. This
programme does not work in Japanese Windows and it is hoped that a CD with
the programme for Japanese Windows will be available in the very near
future.

Those interested in obtaining a copy of the CD(s) please contact us in
Kathmandu or our Hamburg staff in the following address:

Hereby I also would like to request scholars in the list to send a note to
our Hamburg staff if you are using/editing NGMPP material or used/edited in
the past so that we could publish the information in our website.

Nepalese-German Manuscript Cataloguing Project
Abt. fuer Kultur und Geschichte Indiens und Tibets
Universitaet Hamburg
Neue Rabenstr. 3
20354 Hamburg
Tel. 040-42838-6267
Email: indologie at uni-hamburg.de

Best,

Diwakar Acharya
Representative/Local Director
Nepalese-German Manuscript Cataloguing Project
Nepal Research Centre
PoB 180 Kathmandu
Nepal
Tel.: +977 1 44 30888