SV: (second attempt) CDIAL 3331

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Sep 11 11:16:15 UTC 2003

Hello Arlo,

Ruth Schmidt asked me to pass on the following comments on your
question:

*********

I never collected this lexical item, nor did Fussman.

If Phalura does not show the -ka-suffix, I would be surprised to find
it in any of the accessible modern languages, since Phalura is by far
the most archaic of the dialects (originating in Chilas, in the
ancient center of the Shina-speaking zone). This is also the picture
one gets from a glance at CDIAL. All the reflexes show the pattern
kúl, kúlu [-u ~ -o is the suffix for a marked masculine noun], and
that is what is borrowed into Burushaski. The dialects shown, though
few, also span the range of Shina from west to east and south to
north, with the exception of Brokskat. If the word is the same in
Phalura, Gilgiti, Kohistani and Guresi, it will probably not differ
in Chilasi, Astori or Drasi.

I have not found the -ka-suffix as such surviving in modern Shina,
though Turner often needs it to show why the Shina reflex survives as
a closed syllable, instead of being further reduced.

Regards,

Ruth

**************

Regards,

Lars Martin

From:
Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,
0674 Oslo - Norway
Phone: +47 22 32 12 19 Fax:  +47 850 21 250
Mobile phone: +47 90 91 91 45
E-mail: lmfosse at online.no
DO NOT OPEN UNEXPECTED ATTACHMENTS.
MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS BEING ABUSED BY