formation of the name mahaasaamghika

L.S. Cousins selwyn at NTLWORLD.COM
Wed Nov 26 11:49:31 UTC 2003

Jonathan,

You are, I think, right that Mahaasa'nghika does not occur in any
extant Pali source before the Vinaya and Abhidhamma commentaries and
so is presumably not older as regards extant texts than forms found
in Sanskrit. But this is largely a consequent of the paucity of
surviving non-canonical before Buddhaghosa. The oldest Pali source
i.e. Diipava.msa refers to Mahaasa'ngiitika, etc. I am not sure if
there an older extant Sanskrit source than that.

In fact, given the rather preliminary editing of most Pali
commentarial literature we cannot be quite sure that the above is the
exact form. Both y/k and .m/'n vary in the later literature; so I
incline to think that the underlying form is Middle Indic
Mahåsa.mghiya which seems overall to be supported by the inscriptions.

I think Stephen is right to assume that the original name is
vernacular and any Sanskrit form later. If so, the form is surely
technically ambiguous:

1. If the later component is equivalent to Sanskrit saa'nghika, this
appears in Pali as sa'nghika or sa.mghika (see the many occurrences
in the Vinayapi.taka). As you suggest, this is a perfectly normal
Middle Indic formation.

2. If it is equivalent to mahaasa.mgha with the addition of an ika
suffix, then I am not sure that we should expect v.rddhi of the first
syllable. I incline to suppose that this would be essentially
optional in Middle Indian, especially in spoken forms. (In fact, I am
not sure that an initial maahaa- ever occurs in Pali.

So we must choose between 1 and  2 on other grounds. I incline to the
second because it seems to be the sort of name that a nikaaya might
adopt faced with an active group of reformers. Also, the Diip form
seems to use sa'ngiiti as a calque for sa.mgha in a way which
supports this.

--
Best Wishes,

Lance