formation of the name mahaasaamghika

Jonathan Silk silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Tue Nov 25 20:49:41 UTC 2003

The name of one of the Indian Buddhist schools is Mahaasaamghika.
Since I was asked about this more than ten years ago, I have wondered
about it. The traditional explanation has it that the name signifies
"those who belong to the great community" or something along that
line. BUT:

*if*

mahaasamgha + ika

then, should >

*maahaasamghika

right?

To generate mahaasaamghika, we need to assume

mahaa + saamghika < samgha + ika

right?

I cannot reconcile what I understand to be the grammer with what I
understand the tradition to understand. Any ideas?

JAS
--
Jonathan Silk
Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures
silk at humnet.ucla.edu