adoption & marriage: legal question

Patrick Olivelle jpo at UTS.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Nov 24 14:23:35 UTC 2003

Jonathan:

The answer may lie in the institution of "niyoga" - where a sonless
man will "appoint" his daughter as his "son" -- putrikaa, someone I
call "female-son". Any sons such a "female-son" gets, is regarded as
the "son" of his maternal grandmother. Discussed at length by Hans
Peter-Schmidt in his "Some Rites and Rights of Women." What is found
in the Dharmasastras makes no reference to where the newly married
couple may reside, but it makes sense that they would reside with the
wife's parents rather than, as normal, with the husband's.

Patrick