Re:       adoption & marriage: legal question

Somadeva Vasudeva Somadevah at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 21 19:12:52 UTC 2003

In a message dated 21/11/03 6:53:59 pm, silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU writes:

> He tells the young man he will give him
> his daughter in marriage if the young man will come to live in his
> house. The young man agrees, and marries the daughter.

Is it not possible that we have here the more common situation where the
father "appoints" his daughter a putrikaa first? A man without a son may "appoint"
his daughter. Her sons inherit all of her father's wealth. If she dies
without a son, her husband inherits. Cf Manusm.rti 9.127--139. Like this, there are
no marital complications.

The satirist K.semendra makes fun of such arrangements.

hope this helps,

Somadeva Vasudeva