-in-Adj.

srutavega chlodwig.h.werba at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Nov 11 13:15:50 UTC 2003

As You correctly state, dear B.rhatii, the suffix -in- serves to derive
possessive adjectives from substantives, 'being characterized by X', and as
every adjective in Sanskrit, also these -in-formations may be substantivized
in any gender according to specific extra-linguistic agenda, which are to be
scrutinized. Therefore it's up to You and everybody else, first to check in
Your text which gender the substantivized adjective has, if this usage is
simply idiosyncratic (ad hoc) or does conform to the one of other texts or
even to the general vyavahaara. Only then the ratio essendi can be at stake:
one may certainly be the lopa of a vi´se.sya, as You propose it for dharmin-
etc.
With best wishes
´Srutavega.