Namaskar and Nationalism

Bindu Bhatt bb145 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed May 7 14:50:35 UTC 2003

Dear Peter,
I grew up in Ranchi (jharkhand). I have heard many forms of greetings
there. Most of the Adivasis would greet with Johaar. The Bengalis used
Namaskaar. The Biharis mostly said Pranaam to the elders and Namaste to
everyone else. I myself use Pranaam for all my elders and Namaste to
everyone else. Raam Raam  in Bihar and Uttar Pradesh are quite popular
forms of greeting. The Vaishnavas of Gujarat usually greet by saying Jai
Shri Krishna. In Vrindavan  the favorite of all is Raadhe Raadhe. I have
also heard Punjabis use Namaste as the prefered form of greeting. Also,
Paai Laagu (Bihar), Page Laagu (Gujarat), Pari Painaa (Punjab) are used
to greet one's elders and Gurus by touching their feet. I am not aware
of Namaskaar being used only in the Brahmin community or when did it
become a popular form of National greeting. I don't think it is the most
popular form of greeting anyway. But then, I could be wrong. I believe
whether it be Namaste, namaskaar, Johaar, Raam Raam or any other way,
the key is that one brings ones palms together in a particular way (a
mudraa) to greet someone.

Bindu

Bindu Bhatt
South Asian Studies Librarian