Palatal n

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Jun 4 08:42:37 UTC 2003

Actually, the English word canyon is a particularly good illustration, as it
comes from Spanish cañón (in Spanish the accent falls on the o, but English
shifts it to the a). Because English does not have the ñ (palatal nasal), 'ny'
was adopted as the best approximation to the sound of ñ.
So, for English speakers 'ny' is as close as it gets when trying to describe
the ñ sound in writing (without using phonetical explanations).

(By the way, ñ is ASCII character 164, so PCs can write it in any font)

Regards,

Luis González-Reimann