svare

srutavega chlodwig.h.werba at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Fri Jan 31 13:36:29 UTC 2003

priya vidyaaratna,
tatrabhavadiiyavapra´snadvaye 'nna.m naasti, yata.h:
(1) the regular form of 'Ablaut' You refer to, did neither originate in the
Panjab with the Old IndoAryan speakers, nor with the still older *Harias in
the mountains of Afghanestaan or the steps of the Aral area. It's simply
Indoeuropean heritage, as the same morphonological changes do occur in Old
Greek etc., known since F. Bopps 'Ueber das Conjugationssystem ... in the
early 18oos.
(2) Old IndoAryan or Vedic accent was definitely not a stress accent, but as
we all know it described in the Praati´saakhyas, a tonal one (comparable to
the Chinese tones). That's also the reason why it left absolutely no traces
in the MIA languages.
bhadraa´si.sa aa´saasaana.h saadhayati ´srutavega.h.
(Prof. Chlodwig H. Werba, IndoIranian Studies
Dptm. of South Asian, Tibetan, and Buddhist Studies
University of Vienna).