Internal sibilant-sandhi after the i-vowel

Ulrich T. Kragh utkragh at HUM.KU.DK
Wed Jan 29 18:23:51 UTC 2003

Query regarding internal sibilant-sandhi after the i-vowel:
In my text-critical work on chapter 17 of CandrakIrti's PrasannapadA, I need
to make a decision on whether to adopt the spelling visabhAgAnAM or
viSabhAgAnAM in the phrase "visabhAgAnAM sabhAgAnAM ca karmaNAM" ("...of
dissimilar and similar actions").

My five manuscripts (which all are from Nepal) consistently use the form
visabhAgAnAM (here and in the following passage of the text), that is
without the retroflex sibilant after the i-vowel. In the edition of the text
published by La Vallée Poussin, the form viSabhAgAnAm has been
adopted/emended, which also seems to be in accordance with the internal
sandhi-rules for the dental sibilant after the i-vowel (cf. e.g. Whitney's
grammar §180 and §185a). Nevertheless, in his text-critical notes to the
text, de Jong adopts the spelling visabhAgAnAm, i.e. retains the dental
sibilant after the i-vowel, with a reference to the Japanese translation of
the text by Wogihara, which is a source I unfortunately do not have access
to at the present.

Would someone please care to clarify which sibilant ought to be used in this
case according to the rules?

Sincerely,
Ulrich T. Kragh
University of Copenhagen