Rgveda from Magadha, Canon and bandhu-s

Fri Jan 24 04:38:20 UTC 2003

It may be obvious, but just to underline:

the RV is of course from Greater Panjab (as Madhav also said earlier),
but the "final" redaction was made only in the late Vedic period, by
S'aakalya, in N. Bihar.

Dean Anderson:
>> Why is it thought that there is a Magadha source for ZAkalya?

More arguments for the whole process of canon formation in the east (N.
Bihar) in my paper:

66. ---, The Development of the Vedic Canon and its Schools: The Social and
Political Milieu. (Materials on Vedic çâkhâs 8).
In: Inside the Texts, Beyond the Texts. New Approaches to the Study of the
Vedas. Harvard Oriental Series. Opera Minora, vol. 2. Cambridge 1997,
257-345
see:

see http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwbib.htm
no. 66,    with pdf.
details in chapter 6.2 p. 322 ff.

And cf. same website,  no.  41 (1989) on some gramm. features in S'aakalya,
i.e. where he differs from his forebears in  E. Panjab, the S'akala, (found
in the *early* part of Aitareya Br.)

For the late Vedic move of (some) Aitareyins (and AitBr in general)
eastwards into Bihar,
see same website no.  37. (1987)and no. 66.

NB: Steve Farmer and I have been kicking back and forth (between the two of
us)  some ideas about canon formation, the role of Gandhara , Panini,
Bihar  etc., and we hope to get out a major article on this topic later
this year - as always, time permitting.

----
----

Incidentally, since we indulging here in  giving references, -- eh, placing
plugs, here another one: which both of us (and others) regard as
fundamental for an understanding of the bandhu, homologies,
"identifications", better: "correlations" of the middle and late Vedic
period in India (but also in similar texts of early  China, medieval
Europe, Meso-America etc.;)  see:

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/BMFEAfinal.pdf

88. S. Farmer, J.B. Henderson, M.Witzel. Neurobiology, Layered Texts, and
Correlative Cosmologies: A Cross-Cultural Framework for Premodern History.
Bulletin of the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities (BMFEA) 72, 2002, 48-90
*pdf

88a. S.Farmer, J.B. Henderson, M.Witzel , P.Robinson. Computer Models of
the Evolution of Premodern Religious, Philosophical and Cosmological
Systems.-- Companion piece to No. 88, ON THE NET ONLY:
http://www.safarmer.com/simulations.pdf

cheers,  mw

>Thank you. I have the book on my shelf, but haven't read it yet. I'll pull
>it down now.
>
>Dean Anderson

Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm