Iconographical help requested

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Thu Jan 23 12:52:37 UTC 2003

A friend just asked me to identify the subject of a small sculpture which
he recently came across at an antique dealer's, and estimated to be about
200 years old. Being unable to help, I refer the question to this list.

The sculpture in question (painted marble) depicts a male figure, sporting
a thin moustache, with four arms and Vaishnava markings, seated sideways in
lotus position on a horse-drawn cart. His four hands hold various objects,
one being an akshara-mala and another (probably) a flaming cakra. The two
remaining objects are more difficult to identify, though one may possibly
be a book -- always assuming it is not the piece of cheese which, to my
friend's eyes, it most resembled...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
Martin Gansten