Fwd: 31st January deadline reminder

Christian Lee Novetzke cln at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Thu Jan 16 15:22:06 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm forwarding this on behalf of Madhu Kishwar.  Please respond directly to
her.

Thanks,

Christian

>Dear Friends,
>

>Just in case it has slipped your mind, the deadline for submitting paper
>and panel proposals for the IAHR-CSDS Conference on Indic Religions is
>31st January, 2003, only 15 days away.
>

>The conference aims to encourage rigorous secular studies of religious
>traditions in India: Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Jainism, Buddhism,
>Christianity, Islam and Sikhism, including their various sects and
>branches.  Furthermore, in order to promote the study of religions in
>India as a careful secular discipline, the conference hopes to establish a
>process for bringing together, on a regular basis, scholars in India who
>are working in the field of religion.
>

>Topics might include, but are not limited to: studies of traditional
>religious texts with a special focus on notions of the common or public
>good; ideal forms of gender and familiar relations; theories of justice
>and political authority; and relations between deities and mortals, rulers
>and ruled, or nature and humans; the interrelationships among religions
>theologies, canons, philosophies, practices, and folk beliefs; historical
>and contemporary studies of growth or decay of syncretic traditions in
>religious texts and practices; the role and function of pilgrimage
>centres, as well as the management of religious institutions; and the
>rise, decline, and renewal of shramanic traditions within Indic
>civilisation; the politics of conversion in history or in contemporary
>India; and the limits of religions authority and the role of dissenters
>and outsiders; the impact of nationalism on beliefs and practices; Gandhi
>s religion; and Hindu-Muslim relations; special methodological concerns in
>the study of Indic religions; and the contributions of Indic religions to
>cosmological speculation in 20th century science.
>

>Last date for submission of proposals:            January 31, 2003
>
>Dates of the conference:                               December 18 to 21, 2003
>
>Venue:                                                              Indian
>International Centre.
>

>Please see our website for proposal submission, registration, programme,
>accommodation, and contact information:
><http://www.indicreligions.com/>www.indicreligions.com
>

>Please pass this information on to other interested people.
>

>Email: <mailto:madhuk at csdsdelhi.org>madhuk at csdsdelhi.org
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Madhu Kishwar
>

>Convenor

Christian Lee Novetzke
Assistant Professor of South Asia Studies
University of Pennsylvania, 820 Williams Hall
36th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305, USA

Email: cln at sas.upenn.edu      Website: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cln
Tel: (215) 898-7475                  Fax: (215) 573-2138