at risk again

Klaus Karttunen Klaus.Karttunen at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Feb 13 12:15:59 UTC 2003

jkirk wrote:

> Intriguing! what got me started on this were the many terms in Kalidasa's
> Meghaduta for birds and flowers. Probably nobody has gone through it to see
> if they could write a "nature concordance' for that work?
Perhaps you should note these, too:
HENSGEN, Hans: "Die Fauna bei Ka*lida*sa", IIJ 2, 1958, 33-53, 128-148.
KREYENBORG, Hermann: diss. Beiträge zur altindischen Zoologie. 1. Über
die Tiere bei Ka*lida*sa. 1921, publ. 1926 (?, never seen).
RYLANDS, C. A.: "The Plant Karn*ika*ra in Ka*lida*sa Works", IC 15,
1948-49, 50-52.
Even if the medical viewpoint is very different from that of poetry,
Meulenbeld is the starting point with plant names.

BTW I. Koponen, our retired professor of botany, once told of New Guinea
(where he did fieldwork) that the amount of exact nomenclature is widely
variating. Of two peoples, living in neighbouring valleys, one was
capable of naming more than 200 different plants, other perhaps 20 or so.

Regards,
Klaus

--
Klaus Karttunen, Ph.D.
Docent of Indology and Classical Ethnography