Toddler learns 4,000 verses of ancient language by heart

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Thu Feb 6 20:37:22 UTC 2003

Though I have not seen a 3yr old do this personally, I have seen Pt. S.L. Athalekar's eight year old daughter recite the Ashtadhyayi and the Bhagavadgita in this fashion.  This was in early sixties in Pune.  She could recite the texts in a linear way, retrieve a sutra if given a number and vice versa, and recite all sutras containing a given word.  She of course did not understand the meaning of the rules.  Later Pt. Athalekar was my classmate at the University of Pune and he could do these feats himself.  His daughter eventually graduated with Sanskrit for her BA and MA, and I was her professor for a short period.  Best,

                                                                                Madhav Deshpande