introduction and a question

Alfred Collins acollins at GCI.NET
Tue Dec 16 19:20:40 UTC 2003

Dear listmates,

I'm new to this list and thought it might be appropriate to introduce myself. I am a practicing psychologist with a second Ph.D. in Indic Studies from the University of Texas at Austin.  My research interests are in Indian psychology, primarily Rgveda, Upanisads, Samkhya-Yoga, Vedanta, and via interpretation of the epics.  I was previously on the core faculty at the California Institute of Integral Studies in East/West Psychology.  For several years I was informally associated with members of the University of Chicago's South Asia program, and have given seminars there, at the Univ. of Wisconsin South Asia annual meeting (several times), the Association for Asian Studies, University of Minnesota, Alaska Pacific University, Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis, American Psychological Association, etc.  Published papers have appeared in the Journal of Indian Philosophy, Journal of Indo-European Studies, other journals and edited books (Vishnu on Freud's Desk, Is the Goddess a
Feminist?, etc.).

Here is my question.  I have a distinct memory of reading, in translation, a poem from Sanskrit saying goodbye to worldly life on entering nirvana or moksa.  I do not believe this was a Buddhist text, but may rather have been ascribed to Sankara.  I have looked through various sources but find nothing like this among his devotional songs, or elsewhere.  I suspect (remember?) that there is a subgenre of literature on this topic: leave-taking on transcending the world, almost sentimentally touching on each part of the world, the senses in turn, the joys of life.  Can anybody steer me toward these texts (if indeed they exist)?

Alfred Collins
Anchorage, Alaska USA