Bha.t.ta Bhaaskara Mi;sra's Bhaa.sya on the Taittiriiya Braahma.na

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 22 15:35:28 UTC 2003

Unfortunately I don't have such a list. But since
the context of the passage is the difficulties of
the editor Shama Shastry in obtaining sufficient
manuscripts for his edition (en passant he
criticizes unnamed gopayitaara.h of the
manuscripts, i.e., apparently certain librarians)
the passage rather means:

godaavariitiirasthasya kasyacana pa.n.ditasya
va.m;savada.m
taittiriiyabraahma.nasya
dvitiiyaa.s.takasyaantimaanaa.m catur.naam
anuvaakaanaa.m bha.t.tabhaaskarabhaa.sya.m
duraasadam aasiit

"B.B.'s commentary (i.e. section in the
commentary) on the four last anuvaakas of the
second a.s.taka (= kaa.n.da, cf. Gonda Ved. lit.
p. 350) of the TB that speaks of va.m;sa and that
belonged to (was in the possession of) a certain
(specific, but, according to good Brahminical
custom, unnamed) Pa.n.dit living on the bank of
the Godaavarii, was difficult to obtain."

In the section mentioned by Shama Shastry we do
find now and then references to offspring, to the
origin of the world, etc. but this can hardly
suffice to make this section qualify as a
va.m;sa-braahma.na "braahma.na dealing with
authorities and their lineages" (as, f.i., ;SB
14.5.5.20-22 = BAU 2.6), so I suspect it is
really only the commentary of B.B. that contains
in the mentioned specific section important
remarks on (B.B.'s? the Taitt. tradition's?)
va.m;sa that Shama Shastry was eager to edit on
the basis of sufficient ms evidence.

Best, Jan

--- Arlo Griffiths

=====