Bha.t.ta Bhaaskara Mi;sra's Bhaa.sya on the Taittiriiya Braahma.na

Arlo Griffiths A.Griffiths at LET.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Thu Aug 21 09:41:58 UTC 2003

Dear Indologists,

On the first page of his Upodghaata to the second volume of the 1921 Mysore
devanaagarii edition of the Taittiriiya Braahma.na (which I am using in the
1985 Motilal Banarsidass reprint, p. ix), R. Shama Sastry writes:

godaavariitiirasthasya kasyacana pa.n.ditasya va.m;savada.m
taittiriiyabraahma.nasya dvitiiyaa.s.takasyaantimaanaa.m catur.naam
anuvaakaanaa.m bha.t.tabhaaskarabhaa.sya.m duraasadam aasiit |

`it was difficult to obtain Bha.t.ta Bhaaskara's commentary on the four last
anuvaakas of the second a.s.taka of the Taittiriiyabraahma.na as something
taught in the lineage of any pa.n.dit living on the bank of the Godaavarii'
[va.m;savada- translated in accordance with a suggestion by Haru Isaacson]

Hence this edition supplies Saaya.na's comm. (the `Maadhaviiyabhaa.sya') for
those anuvaakas:

ata;s ca tatra saaya.nabhaa.syam eva nive;sitam |

And apparently for other parts too:

ko;saantaraalaabhaac ca taittiriiyasa.mhitaayaa.m ca braahma.ne ara.nyake ca
lupta.m du.spa.tha.m ca bha.t.tabhaaskarabhaa.syam apahaaya
saaya.nabhaa.syam eva nyave;si |

In fact the page-headers of vol. II of the Mysore edition suddenly change
between p. 183 and 185 from ``Tattiriiyabraahma.nam
Bha.t.tabhaaskarabhaa.syopetam'' to ``Maadhaviiyabhaa.syopetam''. This is
around TB 2.4.5.44 = Aanandaa;srama ed. 2.4.5.1, not anywhere near the last
4 anuvaakas of TB 2 mentioned by R. Shama Sastry (several prapaa.thakas with
their own anuvaakas follow!), nor anywhere near the place where the
commentary of Saaya.na actually seems to start being printed.

Does anybody know the exact extent of the portions printed with Bha.t.ta
Bhaaskara Mi;sra's commentary, or can anyone point me to a source where they
have been listed? I have checked, as far as I am able to do so, Tsuji's
Genzon Yajuruweda Bunken / Existent Yajurveda-Literature, to no avail.

Is anybody aware of the existence of complete versions of his commentary on
TB either in manuscript or in print?

-- Arlo Griffiths

CNWS / Instituut Kern
Universiteit Leiden