an offshoot from Patrick's question

Klaus Karttunen Klaus.Karttunen at HELSINKI.FI
Thu Aug 14 09:14:27 UTC 2003

Jonathan Silk wrote:

> Patrick's question leads me to another, based on the content of the
> story he cites:
>
> are there any good studies of the use of 'portraits' in pre-Muslim
> India?
See Virginia Saunders, “Portrait Painting as a Dramatic Device in
Sanskrit Plays”, JAOS 39, 1919, 299-302. I have not the article at hand,
but the use of pictures causing people to fall in love is found both in
dramas and in narrative literature (e.g. Kathasaritsagara). In the play
Ratnavali the picture reveals the secret affair of the king to his head queen.

Regards
Klaus
--
Klaus Karttunen, Ph.D.
Docent of Indology and Classical Ethnography