Query (Digit of the Moon)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Aug 14 11:07:13 UTC 2003

Ah!  I suddenly realized this must be a Bain book, just before reading
your note, Allen.

I discovered Bain's little books about 20 years ago, and read them with
delight (I have half a dozen or more).  I took at face value what he said
about the Pandit's manuscript and thought the whole thing marvellous.  It
was disappointing to discover, some years later, that they were "pious
frauds".  Too good to be true, really.  A British version of what a
Sanskrit story would be like if it were done properly.  It's interesting
to reflect on why these stories work so well for the modern reader.  I
think the intense romantic feel has a lot to do with it.

Best,
Dominik

--
Email processed on Mondays and Thursdays.