SV: Romila Thapar appointed Kluge Chair in Countries and Cultures of the South at Library of Congress

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 29 21:01:38 UTC 2003

May I take the liberty to draw the list members'
attention to the Scope and Guidelines of the List
and especially to the phrase:
"List members are discouraged from posting
messages that are not part of a discourse on
indology"
Note also the phrase "Members who violate these
standards will be warned and may have their
membership privileges suspended or revoked if the
behaviour continues."
Since the basic data are now available to the
entire readership of the list I think those
interested will stay on the safe side by
continuing the discussion on the Kluge Chair
off-list.
Best regards,
Jan Houben

--- Jonathan Silk <silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU> wrote:
> >Humbly: doesn't the academic and intellectual
> freedom of a noted Indian
> >historian (and threats to that freedom) meet
> the suggested subject
> >criteria?
> >
> >David Magier
> >
> Please tell me the academic value or
> contribution to intellectual
> freedom offered by the following:
>
> Given that the United States right now has a
> right-wing government, any
> intervention in this case should be couched in
> careful language.
> Otherwise, ignorant republican senators and
> congressmen might draw the
> conclusion that you are just a bunch of
> leftists trying to keep an
> honest conservative out of the job.
>

> My fear is that this *type* thing will quickly
> degenerate into the
> polemics that drove Indology out of business
> once (? at least once)
> before.
>
> I suggest that any further exchanges on this
> issue should be carried
> on off-list.
> --
>
> Jonathan Silk
> Department of East Asian Languages & Cultures
> Center for Buddhist Studies
> UCLA
> 290 Royce Hall
> Box 951540