Romila Thapar appointed Kluge Chair in Countries and Cultures of the South at Library of Congress

Yaroslav Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Mon Apr 28 21:11:34 UTC 2003

Dear Professor Hock,
        I am sure it is obvious for the most of us on this list that
Professor Romila Thapar is one of the best contemporary historians of India.
Had she any Marxist sympathies in the past, or not, she produced, no doubt, many times
more insights and new concepts bearing on Indian history and culture
than all 133 petitioners against her appointment to a Kluge Chair at the Library of
Congress could ever dream of. So for me there is just one question: shall we sign a joint petition
or could you let me know an e-mail address where I could send my letter in support of
Professor Thapar's appointment?
        Best regards,
                                                Yaroslav Vassilkov