Yigal Bronner

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Oct 30 22:50:24 UTC 2002

Readers of this list will have heard from a posting yesterday that one of
our Sanskritist colleagues, Yigal Bronner, has taken a principled position
regarding military service and, as expected, is being punished for this by
the Israeli state.

However, the situation has developed in a manner which may contain
elements of impropriety on the part of the state or its representatives,
and the conditions in which Yigal is being held may not be those normal or
appropriate for someone in his position.  It seems to me that this is
likely to be connected to his ability to articulate his ideas and
arguments particularly clearly and forcefully, and to distribute them to
an international audience of colleagues, a skill directly connected to his
status as an intellectual and a scholar.  This matter therefore touches
all of us to some extent.

The INDOLOGY list is not the appropriate forum for a discussion of these
very important matters.  However, I have made such information as is
available to me public on the INDOLOGY website,

        http://www.indology.org.uk

under "Important position or review papers on indological topics".

If INDOLOGY members wish to discuss this matter, it would be appropriate
for someone to create a group for this purpose at
        http://www.yahoogroups.com
or some similar service.

--
Dominik Wujastyk