CSX+ Encoding and other Encodings used by Indologists (fwd)

Stefan Baums sbaums at GMX.NET
Mon Nov 25 19:40:51 UTC 2002

> but a lot of diacritical letters required for
> translitering Indic scripts have not been defined by the Unicode
> consortium

Could you give examples?  In my experience, all characters used in
Indology _are_ in Unicode; for a very few, one has to use combining
diacritics, but most are even available precomposed, and this
difference would be hidden from the end user anyway.  Maybe you would
like to give the Gandhari Unicode font a try:

   http://depts.washington.edu/ebmp/software.html

This is a font that does cover all Indological diacritics, and in
recent versions does not use the Private Use Area anymore.  I do think
that Unicode is the one character encoding that Indologists should
migrate to, and then the regrettable incompabilities between
institute's private encodings that you mention will disappear.

Best regards,
Stefan Baums

--
Stefan Baums