Voiced aspirate consonants and neighing (or other animal cries)

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri Nov 22 22:35:58 UTC 2002

I have not seen the use of animal cries used in Sanskrit phonetic texts as metaphors specifically for explaining voiced, aspirated consonants, though the animal cries as well as cries of buttermilk selling women from Saurashtra etc. are cited to explain vowel length, pitch, nasality of anusvaara etc.  There are also descriptions of particular consonant clusters using animal cries.  Here are a few examples from the Zik.saasamgraha edited by Ram Prasad Tripathi, Sampurnananda Samsk.rta Vizvavidyaalaya, Banaras1989 (Gopinath Kaviraaja Granthamaalaa, vol. 3).

Verse 70, Yaajn~valkyazik.saa, p. 8: U.smaa "aspiration" should be pronounced like the exhailed breath of a young snake.

Verse 185, YZ, p. 24:  The geminate in the word kukku.ta should be pronounced like the pronunciation of two k-sounds by a rooster in love.

Verse 186: Just as a mare moves her vulva when she sees a stallion, so one should pronounce sounds in the word dundubhi.

Verse 187, YZ, p. 24:  Just as a woman excited in love makes sounds each day, so should one pronounce the sound in si.mhyasi.

Verse 190, YZ, p. 24:  Just as a Sauraa.s.tran woman says araaM, so should the ranga sound be pronounced without the velar n.

Verse 59, Paaraazariizik.saa, p. 51:  Just as a ghost in an empty house screems but is not seen, so sould one pronounce the sounds in the example upajjman.

Verse 64, PZ, p. 51:  Just as a woman kisses her son again and again with affection, so sould one pronounce the sounds in the example yun~jaana.

One can add a few more to this sample, but I have not seen exact parallels to the Tamil descriptions.  Best,

                                                                                Madhav Deshpande