CSX+ (Notice for Indology List (fwd))

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Nov 11 23:04:18 UTC 2002

--- Forwarded message ---
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:54:41 +0100
From: Ulrich.Stiehl <Ulrich.Stiehl at t-online.de>
Subject: Notice for Indology List

New CSX+ Font - Compatible with Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP

The old CSX+ font designed for DOS and old Windows 3.1,
is not compatible with the newer releases of Windows.
See the various Read-me-files at John Smith's ftp site

 ftp://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/pub/john/software/fonts/

After digging into some Windows internals, I mananged to
create a new font with the original CSX+ encoding, which
is compatible with Windows 1995/1998/ME, NT 2000 and XP
in conjunction with Word 1997/2000/XP.

Only Roman style has been made so far, downloadable at
http://home.t-online.de/home/ulrich.stiehl/polfonts.htm

This style is sufficient for reading the CSX+ encoded
Mahabharata supplementary files at John Smith's site,
which contain diacritics for proper names etc. etc.
that are invisible for users of the old CSX+ font,
since the old CSX+ font "swallows" some diacritics
in the more recent versions of Windows and Word.

Should someone need the other CSX+ styles (Bold etc.),
please send a request to ulrich.stiehl at t-online.de

Should someone need a new Windows font for the old
Norman font (which is also incompatible with modern
Windows; see the read-me-files at John Smith's site),
such a new Norman font could be made too, if needed.

Ulrich Stiehl, Heidelberg (Germany)