None

Frits Staal jfstaal at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Mar 11 20:11:46 UTC 2002

I am very happy to have Stefan Baums' list but have a few additions, the
first not exactly responding to the question but worth knowing:

Noam Chomsky and Morris Halle, 1968, The Sound Pattern of English, New York
etc.: Harper & Row, page 435 (the last page of the text), the last rule:

(62)    a > a

(disregarding macrons which I don't have on E-mail)

Paul Kiparsky, 1979, Panini as a Variationist, Poona and Cambridge: Poona
University Press and MIT Press

Paul Kiparsky, 1982, Some Theoretical Problems in Panini's Grammar.
Professor K.B. Abhyankar Memorial Lectures, Second Series, Poona:
Post-Graduate and Research Department Series No.16.

Paul Kiparsky, 2002, On the Architecture of Panini's Grammar, Hyderabad:
Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages

Paul Kiparsky and Frits Staal, Syntactic and Semantic Relations in Panini,
Foundations of Language  5 (1969) 83-117. Reprinted in my 1988 book:
Universals. Studies in Indian Logic and Linguistics, Chicago and London:
The University of Chicago Press, pp. 184-218.

Frits Staal, Context-Sensitive Rules in Panini, Foundations of Language 1
(1965) 63-72. Reprinted in my 1988 book: Universals. Studies in Indian
Logic and Linguistics, Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press,
pp. 171-80.

Frits Staal, The Sanskrit of Science, Journal of Indian Philosophy 23
(1995) 73-127.

Finally, I warmly endorse  Stefan Baums' recommendation "to go through the
indices of recent linguistic handbooks" (add: journals).

At 04:26 PM 3/11/02 +0100, you wrote:
>Sorry for cross-postings!
>
>Does anybody on the list know about studies of Sanskrit grammar relying on
>transformational grammar, government & binding theory or other new-fangled
>linguistic methods? I would be grateful for bibliographic data!
>
>Best regards,
>
>Lars Martin Fosse
>
>Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
>Haugerudvn. 76, H0102,