Kh instead of S in Yajur Veda

Fred Smith frederick-smith at UIOWA.EDU
Sun Mar 3 15:44:57 UTC 2002

Madhav,

I have heard this change among the SYVedins of Nasik as well as of
Varanasi. But, as you say, it is of the Maadhyandina "saakhaa. I have not
heard it among the Kaa.nva pa.n.ditas of Pandharpur. Have you?
regards
Fred

>Just to be more specific, the change of .s to kh takes place in the
>Maadhyandina trandition of the Zukla-Yajurveda, where the passage i.se tvaa
>is recited as ikhe tvaa.  The Maadhyandinas are found mostly in north
>India, their southernmost expansion reaching the region of northern
>Maharashtra.  I think there is a likely regional/dialectal connection of
>this pronunciation with northeastern regions, where in Prakrits/Pali one
>often finds kh for Sanskrit .s, for instance lakkha.na for
>lak.sa.na/lak.sma.na.  This mode of recitation in the Maadhyandina YV is
>probably a relatively late development, as I see no reference to it either
>in the Vaajasaneyi-Praatizaakhya or the Yaajnavalkya-zik.saa.  Best,
>

>Madhav Deshpande
>
>--On Sunday, February 24, 2002, 1:13 PM -0500 Madhav Deshpande
><mmdesh at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> This happens in the Zukla Yajurveda recitation, where the RV line
>> sahasraziir.sa.h puru.sa.h is pronounced as ...ziirkha.h purukha.h.  I am
>> responding to this email away from home, and don't have access to my
>> books, but if I remember correctly, the Zukla-YV Praatizaakhya deals with
>> this feature.
>>                               Madhav Deshpande
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Dean Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> Madhav Deshpande mentions in "Genesis of Rgvedic Retroflexion..." that
>>> some branches of Yajur Veda show 'kh' where the retroflex 's' is normally
>>> expected. Where is this found? Is is associated with a particular Shakha
>>> or geographical location? Are there any other aspects of the vedic
>>> literature that show this?
>>>
>>> Dean Anderson, PhD

>Madhav M. Deshpande
>Professor of Sanskrit and Linguistics
>Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
>3070 Frieze Building
>The University of Michigan
>Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285, USA

Frederick M. Smith
Associate Professor of Sanskrit and Classical Indian Religion
School of Religion                    Dept. of Asian Languages
                              & Literature
314 Gilmore Hall                              681 Phillips Hall
University of Iowa                    University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA  52242  U.S.A.          Iowa City, IA  52242  U.S.A.
        + 319-335-2178 (O)      + 319-338-7193 (H)
               + 319-353-2207 (Fax)
                    frederick-smith at uiowa.edu

"Insanity is doing the same old thing, the same old way, while expecting
different results." Albert Einstein