Identity of placename Mohapaata?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jul 29 12:16:30 UTC 2002

Dear List Members,

     I am working on a 200 year old Sanskrit manuscript of a text called
Vedavicaara.  This particular manuscript was copied by a Marathi pundit
named Hari Vishnu Palnitkar.  He describes himself as "mohapaatainvaasin",
resident of Mohapaata.  From other references to this individual in Marathi
documents, we know that he came from the vicinity of the town of Panwel
near Bombay.  I am wondering about the identity of Mohapaata, obviously a
Sanskritization of a local village or town name.  Any suggestions on what
the original Marathi place name might be?  Thanks.

                                Madhav Deshpande