AzvaghoSa

Richard Salomon rsalomon at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Jul 19 17:47:34 UTC 2002

Patrick et al.:

As far as I am aware there is still no firm evidence for Asvaghosa's date,
and the arguments are for the most part the usual (inevitable) fuzzy
guesswork. The bottom line seems to be a pattern of association with the
"Great Kushanas," especially Kaniska (see Johnston's Buddhacarita, int. pp.
xiii-xvii)--whenever they/he were All things considered, I would take the
second century as the most likely date, but first is also possible. See also
A. Passi, Asvaghosa: Le gesta del Buddha [Milan 1979], p225; he seems to
prefer the first century, if I understand his Italian correctly.

As for Vajrasuci, I think the scholarly consensus is that it is not one of
the authentic works of the "real" Asvaghosa, mainly because of differences
in style and contents from the authenticated works (Johnston p. xxii)--for
what that is worth, as usual.

This is probably not very helpful to you-- but what did you expect?

Rich

PS: It would be interesting to hear Passi's opinions on these questions. If
he doesn't respond through the list, I can put you in touch with him.