Any suggestions!

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Tue Jan 22 02:17:36 UTC 2002

While editing a Sanskrit manuscript produced in the Marathi area around
1824 A.D., I find that the copyist consistently writes sitdham for Skt.
siddham.  There are some other features of this manuscript which seem to
relate to the local pronunciation of Marathi/Sanskrit, e.g. braa.mhma.na.
I wonder what can one make of the spelling sitdham.  It is no major crisis
for my editing task, but any suggestions on sitdham are welcome.  Regional
speech habits? I, a Marathi speaker, can pronounce sitdha only if I hold
the closure for 't' longer, effectively separating the syllables with a
gap, but not otherwise. Best,

                                            Madhav Deshpande