sharing documents: in praise of PDF

George Hart ghart at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Jan 12 18:51:54 UTC 2002

If you have Adobe Acrobat (latest version 5, available for both Windows and
Mac), it is easy to embed an Adobe type 1 font or a Truetype font in a
document.  That way, there is no problem with diacritics or Indian alphabets
-- the document can be read on any platform.  This is an extremely elegant
solution to sharing documents.  The receiver needs only to download the free
Acrobat Reader (Windows, Mac, Palm, Solaris, Linux, OS2, etc. etc.)  See
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html. George Hart