hamsa (2)

Julia Leslie jl6 at SOAS.AC.UK
Wed Feb 13 13:12:46 UTC 2002

Dear Georg,

You're right too! I shall have to be more careful in how I express
myself. As I hope I make clear in my kraunca article, it is indeed
very often the case that early Indian writers are completely
uninterested in the ornithological details that are of such interest to
me. Most of the time, we'll never know what bird they intend us to
envisage. (You can imagine my distress, I'm sure, when I track
down yet another commentary on a particular passage only to find
the unhelpful gloss: 'a bird'!) There is also the issue of mythological
creatures, created to meet a poetic need rather than to reflect the
real world.

No, my concern is far less ambitious than reconstructing the real
birds of a distant (and, I agree, often uninterested) past culture in
every bird reference. But *some* of these references may indeed
indicate a real bird, as in the case of Valmiki's kraunca. And then, I
believe, we need to figure out both its identity and its symbolic
significance. It's a sad thought, but perfectly possible, that I may not
find the kind of ornithological detail that I am looking for with regard
to the word hamsa. Wish me luck...

Julia