hamsa, goose and swan

jkirk jkirk at MICRON.NET
Sun Feb 10 20:59:44 UTC 2002

I can't resist offering my two taka on this dilemma. Ordinary folk in former
east Bengal-East Pakistan-Bangladesh solved the problem without really
solving it--goose is "haansh" and swan is "raaj haansh".
I also looked up swan in the only birds of India book I own, and didn't find
it. One (or two?) species of swans do migrate from Russia south to Indian
wetlands during winter, leaving again when the return migration rolls
around;  but whether there is or was an indigenous Indian swan beats me.
Joanna Kirkpatrick