hamsa, goose and swan

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 10 16:06:56 UTC 2002

It does not help me much in my search for the
link between praa.na and the sun, but: Yes,
etymologically hamsa is indeed ghansa (cf.
Mayrhofer) whereas swan, the singing bird (?),
has perhaps something to do with sv�nati and
latin sonare (at least acc. to Duden
Herkunfstwoerterbuch s.v. Schwan; unfortunately
the online indo-european dictionary is still only
starting up and I could not find a suitable lemma
for swan/zwaan/Schwan at
http://iiasnt.leidenuniv.nl/ied/index2.html).
Please, Dominik, request Julia to enlighten us on
the overlap between hamsa and swan.
Best, Jan