Sanskrit Knowledge Systems on the Eve of Colonialism

George Hart ghart at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Feb 7 21:20:05 UTC 2002

Might I humbly suggest that there is no such thing as a Sanskrit Knowledge
System, any more than there is an English Knowledge System or a Latin
Knowledge System.  Wouldn't it be more accurate to call it an Indic
Knowledge System or a South Asian Knowledge System?  There are tens (and
probably hundreds) of thousands of manuscripts on various aspects of
"knowledge" in many South Asian languages besides Sanskrit in the period
under consideration.  For the most part, these follow the same "system" as
the Sanskrit works.  George Hart