Any suggestions - 2

George Hart ghart at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Feb 1 01:23:49 UTC 2002

It's also important to determine which sort of Tamil Brahmins are concerned
-- Smarta Brahmins (Iyers)?  Vaisnava Brahmins (Iyengars)?  There is also at
least one smaller category -- Sivacaryas, who are proper Saiva Brahmins.
Even within Tamil Nadu, these groups do not respect one another.  And within
the Vaisnava Brahmins, the VaTakalai group considers the Tenkalai's
converted Sudras, while the Tenkalais think the VaTakalai must have some
Portuguese blood to be so light-skinned.  There are 18 major points of
difference between the VaTakalai's and Tenkalais.   Among the Smartas, there
are also several divisions, and certainly there has never been any love lost
between Iyers and Iyengars.  I'm not sure either group even considers
Sivacaryas Brahmins.  It's even more interesting to delve into the relations
between different non-Brahmin castes (and within the castes).  George Hart