Agrahara, gurukula, pravacana query (fwd)

Frits Staal JFStaal at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Dec 21 01:46:20 UTC 2002

RE. pravacana

One of the earliest or the earliest use of pravacana to refer to a "text"
(but the point is that it isn't a text) is the Srauta Sutra of Baudhayana.
It uses expressions such as "That direction" when the composer/teacher
obviously pointed in a certain direction. See W. Caland, Uber das rituelle
Sutra des Baudhayana, Abhandlungen fur die Kunde des Morgenlandes, 12/1
(1903) 1-65. Reprint Kraus 1966.

On B.'s time and place see M.Witzel, "The Vedic Canon and its Political
Milieu," Inside the Texts/Beyond the Texts, Harvard Oriental Series, opera
minora, 1997: 316-7.

Frits Staal
http://philosophy.berkeley.edu/staal/