How notes were kept and books were made?

Christian Lee Novetzke cln at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Dec 18 04:41:25 UTC 2002

Dear Allen,

I have written on "premodern" manuscripts called bADas or notebooks (also
vahI) in Marathi that were kept by kirtankars and that certainly resemble
"notebooks" in that they contain notes on the performance of kirtan, as
well as notes on astrology, rates of trade for certain items, prescriptions
for home remedies, notes on births and deaths, etc.  Most of the
manuscripts are from the 17th-19th centuries.  I can share this information
with you off-list if you would like.

Yours,

Christian

At 05:57 PM 12/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone done anything on how people composed books in pre-modern
>India, starting perhaps from how they kept notes (or whether)?  Has
>anyone noted mss in the repositories that seemed to be of in-process
>books rather than completed ones?
>
>Allen
>

>Allen W. Thrasher, Ph.D.
>Senior Reference Librarian
>Southern Asia Section
>Asian Division
>Library of Congress
>Jefferson Building 150
>101 Independence Ave., S.E.
>Washington, DC 20540-4810
>tel. 202-707-3732
>fax 202-707-1724
>athr at loc.gov
>The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Library
>of Congress.

Christian Lee Novetzke
Assistant Professor of South Asia Studies
University of Pennsylvania
820 Williams Hall
36th and Spruce Streets
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305, USA