Weights and Measures

Frits Staal JFStaal at SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Dec 7 19:08:55 UTC 2002

Hi Patrick,

I believe you might find something in the following but I don't have it
here so have not been able to check:

D. Chattopadhyaya, History of Science and Technology in Ancient India: The
Beginnings, Calcutta: Forma KLM, 1986.

("KLM" might be correct or my typo for the Dutch airline).

And then there are more ancient and never seen by me:

L.D. Barnett, Antiquities of India, London 1913

A. Bose, Social and Rural Economy of Northern India, Vols.I-II, Calcutta
1942-45.

If all fails you obviously have to go to Calcutta whence all these tomes
emerge.

Greetings

At 12:24 PM 12/7/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear List Members:
>
>Can anyone direct me to a good secondary source that deals with
>ancient Indian weights and measures (and also perhaps coins)? Thanks.
>
>Patrick

Frits Staal
http://philosophy.berkeley.edu/staal/