Finite karman/destiny patterns?

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Aug 16 14:32:04 UTC 2002

A place to check might be the introductory remarks in such works as the
Mahakarmavipaka (Surya-Aruna-samvada), which give thousands of individual
potted biographies.  I don't think this is quite what you mean, i.e.,
these are presented as actual lives, not templates.

  title     = "{Vrddha-Suryarunakarmavipaka}",
  publisher = "Khemaraja Srikrsnadasa",
  year      = "1909",
  address   = "Bombay"

David Pingree has written about this work,

  author    = "David Pingree",
  title     = "{Two \emph{Karmavipaka} texts on curing diseases and
          other misfortunes}",
  journal   = jeas,
  year      = "1997",
  volume    = "5",
  pages     = "46--52"

I also cited the MKV and gave one of the biographies in my chapter in
  title     = "Religion, health, and suffering",
  publisher = "Kegan Paul International",
  year      = "1999",
  editor    = "John Hinnells and Roy Porter",
  address   = "London"

See also

 author    = "Ludo Rocher",
  crossref  = "doni-karm",
  title     = "{Karma and rebirth in the Dharmaïàstras}",
  booktitle = "{Karma and rebirth in classical Indian traditions}",
  year      = "1980",
  pages     = "61--89",

Which gives comparative tabulation of the various sinners and their
destinies as given in Manu, Yajnavalkya and Visnu.

Finally, NB the doctrine that crops up in various places (including
medical and yoga texts) that a person has a certain predestined number of
breaths.

Best,
Dominik